We all want to look our best, but most of us can't afford the hyper expensive products. And since I've gone animal cruelty free, I really don't have that many options when it comes to cosmetic shopping, since there are so few cruelty free products available this side of the equator... So what is a girl to do? Well, as usual, I have some tricks up my sleeve, though some of these tips took me by surprise too!
2) Remember to close tour nail polish completely when you are done painting. The longer the bottle is open, the more air gets in and it will expire a lot sooner.
3) Mascara gone dry? Simply heat the tube in warm water or with your hair dryer! You'll get some last applications from it this way.
4) Don't buy mascara wands to comb through your eyebrows or eyelashes, you can re-use old ones, just remember to wash them.
5) Want a lengthening mascara? Brush your lashes with translucent powder before applying your mascara!
6) Extend the life of your fragrances and cosmetics by storing them in a cool, dry place. And make sure everything is sealed tightly.
7) Stretch your foundation's lifespan by mixing it with your moisturiser before applying. It'll give you natural looking coverage, and keep your skin soft at the same time.
8) When it gets really humid and your makeup won't last as long, apply some anti-perspirant on your face as a primer before your foundation.
9) If you are grossed out by anti-perspirant on your face (like I am...) stick your face in the freezer from time to time. It'll have the same result.
10) When your foundation is nearly finished, simply add a few drops of water to it and mix well. This will allow you to get every drop.
11) Olive oil. Use it as a cuticle oil (it'll accelerate nail growth too), put a few drops in your bath to soften your skin, mix it with avo and apply it to your hair as a hair mask.
12) Have a zit? Apply a bit of honey on the spot and cover it with a band aid, leaving it overnight.
13) If you want to lighten your hair naturally, mix some honey with your conditioner, leave it fow about half an hour, and then apply generously to your hair and leave it for 45 min. Do this two to three times a week and see your hair lighten.
14) Extend the life of your razor by dipping it in ice water before and after shaving. You can also run the razor lightly over old jeans. Both these methods prolong the life of your razor up to double as long as it would have lasted.
15) Sharpen your tweezers by running sand paper over the ends.
16) Use oatmeal or sugar as body scrubs. Mix it with baby oil or olive oil and apply it to your skin. This can get messy though, so be prepared when you do it!
17) Instead of buying new colour lipsticks, simply take a bit from the colours you have, and custom mix your own. Simply put some in a teaspoon, and heat it over the stove, then pour it into a container. You can also do this in the microwave, just use a small container instead of a spoon, otherwise you might have to get a new microwave!
18) For a simple cream eyeshadow, apply some Vaseline on your eyelids first, and then your regular shadow. I'm not convinced that this won't crease though.
19) Use a lip brush on all your lip products. You'll be amazed at how much longer they last!!
20) Make your own hairspray! Simply mix two teaspoons of sugar (three for extra hold) into a spritz bottle with warm water. Shake well, and allow to cool. It has no weird smell, isn't as sticky (ironically enough) as regular hairspray, and has no weird chemicals in it. And as a bonus, it is friendly to the environment!
I hope you picked up on something that could save your budget here. If you have some tips and tricks, please share with me! I really love hearing from you, and we all learn new stuff when we chat.