Monday, 25 June 2012

Home acne remedies

Hello beauties!

I hope your weekend was fantastic! It's freezing in South Africa, and we had some Winter rain in Jozi over the weekend. My heart goes out to everyone housed in a shack, or on the street. We're blessed to have a roof over our heads and a bed to sleep in. My weekend was spent mostly working on my book, which is about halfway done now. While it isn't a literary prize winner or even close to Tolkien, I'm happy with it. Will let you know how it goes in the future. :)

So, I recently went off my birth control medication. More specifically, just more than a month ago. This means adult acne, which sucks! I never had a problem with bad skin in high school, but as soon as I hit 20, that was over, with a sudden and uncontrollable onset of heavy acne. Since I went on contraceptives, it got a lot better, but now it's back with a vengeance.

I've been looking in to a bunch of ways to treat it, and I've found some other helpful tips on the interwebs as well, which I thought I'd share with you. This seems to be a much bigger problem than just for me! If you have a method of treating spots that you find works, please comment and share it with us all.

I'm also not going into the whole list of things you have to do to have a nice skin. Because, honestly, when it's caused by hormones, drinking water, getting enough sleep or exercise isn't going to make a big difference. Ask any woman on the planet, and she'll tell you the same!

Something I have found works for me, is using tea tree oil or vitamin E oil on my skin before bedtime. I usually put it on after taking a bath, and then I let it sit and be absorbed by my skin before I go to sleep, to prevent it from just rubbing off on my pillow. I'm a side sleeper, sue me! :) A lot of acne sufferers go out of their way to avoid products containing any sort of oil, thinking this will help clear up their already oily skins. This is wrong!  Both tea tree and vitamin E oil fight scarring, and tea tree oil is antibacterial and anti inflammatory. This means it's actually going to fight acne.
Not only that, but when you apply oils like the above mentioned two onto your skin, you're actually 'fooling' your oil glands into thinking (yup, they can think folks... ;P) they've already produced enough oil, which will prevent more oil from being produced. Also, I've seen people with bad acne who use products that are so drying to the skin, that the skin actually breaks open, which makes the acne and the whole problem so much worse. Every skin type needs moisturising, even oily ones!

Try honey. Honey, like tea tree oil is antibacterial and anti inflammatory. You simply dot some of it onto the spots after cleaning your face, and let it sit for around 15 minutes before washing it off again. This process can be repeated for as long as you need to. Honey can fix almost anything!!

Mash up some aspirin, mix it into a paste with water, and use it as an intensive spot treatment by dabbing it onto the spots and letting it sit for about 15 minutes before washing it off. You can also thin out the mixture with more water, and use it as a face scrub.

Gelatin is a great blackhead remover! Pure, unscented gelatin can be used to create a face mask or pore strips by mixing equal parts in water or milk and applying it on the face. Leave it to dry completely before washing it off. There is another blackhead remover recipe here.

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals!


1 comment:

  1. If you're acne tends to be in the lower part of your face, it could be 'stress' related. It means that your skin is overproducing skincells, which eventually leads to acne! This can easily be treated by eating foods with a high amount of Vitamin A. It is also good to take a supplement.

    Also if you fancy a home remedy, it is worth taking some thyme from your garden, boiling it in alcohol, sieving out the remaining leaves/stalks and trying the remaining concentrate with a honey/yoghurt mix as a mask.

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete