Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Urban Decay WON'T be selling in China, and other shocking news

Hello beauties!

So, I have the bestest of news! :) After my post on this subject last week, I'm happy to announce that Urban Decay won't be selling their products in China, and will therefore remain 100% cruelty free. Here is what they have to say :


UD Decides Not to Sell in China

After careful consideration of many issues, we have decided not to start selling Urban Decay products in China. While several factors were important in reaching this decision, ultimately we did not feel we could comply with current regulations in China and remain true to our core principles. We know there are many progressive consumers in China who would embrace an opportunity to purchase non-animal tested products - our hope remains that we have the chance to offer Urban Decay products to these consumers someday in the future.

Following our initial announcement, we realized that we needed to step back, carefully review our original plan, and talk to a number of individuals and organizations that were interested in our decision. We regret that we were unable to respond immediately to many of the questions we received, and appreciate the patience our customers have shown as we worked through this difficult issue.

Since our founding in 1996, we have been committed to ending animal testing in the cosmetics industry. As demonstrated by the renewed support we have received from organizations like PETA and the CCIC, this principle remains at our core. Urban Decay does not test its finished products on animals, nor do we allow others to test on our behalf, and we require our suppliers to certify that the raw materials used in the manufacture of our products are not tested on animals. Urban Decay is proud to be 100% cruelty-free.

I, for one, am thrilled at the news, and I'll bring back a load of UD products from my visit to the UK. 

Anyway, I also shared an image on my Facebook page last week, and a bunch of you have been shocked to the core because of it. I've never had so many emails because of anything I've shared before, and quite frankly, I'm glad everyone who saw the image was so upset. Because of the overwhelming response, I'm posting the image here as well.


This is British sculpture student Jacqueline Traide, and she may well be the bravest woman on the planet. In a campaign launched by Lush Cosmetics (sadly not available in South Africa yet), she underwent everything animals go through when they are tested on. I'm not going to get into it here, since you can read this article, which is pretty in depth already.

Please people, animal testing is terrible. What breaks my heart is that people were so incredibly shocked at these images, because it's a human girl being tortured in them, but when I post earless bunnies and furless kittens, that seems to be OK. When are we going to start realising the gravity of the situation? Too many lives have been taken so we can look nice.

Spread the word, please.

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,


2 comments:

  1. I take my hat off to Jacqueline Traide for her brave & meaningful sitting. It would be interesting to see if a follow-up will be done with regards to what happened the day afterwards, side-effects etc? Animals were created before man, why should they be treated as the lesser beings? I agree with you, people need to wake up & do something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never have truer words been spoken! And we, as humans, have the responsibility of taking care of the animals! Miss Traide is a hero. I'll see if I can find anything that stated what happened afterwards. :)

      Delete