Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Bobbidy bobby bob

Hello beauties!

Something has been working on my nerves lately and I can't explain why, but it does. I tend to get pedantic about things now and then and unfortunately, I'm feeling pedantic today. :)

Did you know there is a real difference between a Chinese bob and an a-line one? Like, they're not the same thing? At all? I once believed as everyone does, that these things are simply the same and I went to the hairdresser felling really chipper and excited, since I was cutting off my long locks and going for a bob, they style which I believed was the Chinese. I sat down in the chair, hair wet and the towel around my shoulders, and the hairdresser came, doing that thing where they lift and feel your hair for a moment or two.
"Right, what can I do for you?" She asked.
"I want a Chinese bob." I answered, grinning from ear to ear.
"Wait, like a Chinese or a French bob?"
Shocked silence.
"There is a difference?"
"Yes. And I hate it when people get it wrong."

Which is why, my friends, I'm going to tell you the difference today, to spare you the hour long (not really) lecture I got that day on the difference in bob hairstyles. (:

The Classic bob :

About jaw length, usually paired with a fringe, this is the classic. The front of it is left slightly longer, so it frames the face and will still go behind the ears. The modern take on it usually has a few shorter layers at the bottom.















The Chinese bob :

Generally, the Chinese bob will be a shorter bob style, cut straight across with no layers, and will be slightly rounded at the front, which sets it apart from the classic bob, since the front of it won't be any longer than the other hair. It is usually accompanied by a straight, blunt fringe.














The A-line or French bob :

This is the one that is shorter in the back and longer in the front. It can have a fringe or not and the typical a-line has only a few layers near the bottom of the cut.
















The buzzcut bob :

Posh made this one popular. It's more angled than your run of the mill a-line cut, the longer parts being much longer and the shorter ones much shorter. It also tends to have many shorter layers. going all the way up to the crown.











The asymmetrical bob :

The same as the a-line in that it is shorter in the back and longer in the front. It can have many layers like the buzzcut and it can or can't have a fringe. The big difference is that the front length of the hair is also longer on one side and shorter on the other.















The Pageboy :

 Back in the day, this was considered the way to wear a pageboy. The shortest part of the hair is usually cut just above the eyebrows, but the longest part can actually be shoulder length, the hair sloping downward in a curve from the shortest part.

It's usually worn straight and curled inwards at the ends.
Anna Wintour's haircut is considered a pageboy and it is the look she had worn forever, her signature cut.

I don't see the resemblance to the original pageboy, but heck, who am I to take on Miss Wintour? :P














The Eton crop :

Want to go really vintage? Then this is the one for you. The ultra short bob, borderline short hairstyle, is based on a schoolboy cut and was usually worn slicked down and finger curled, like in the pic. A modern day take on this would be a long pixie cut, too long to be a true pixie, but too short to really be a bob.














The Layered bob :

Just as the name says, this one is textured and layered and is one of the most popular cuts of our time, next to the a-line. It's soft and feathered and depending on the length, can suit most face shapes as well.













Have a fabulous day and impress your hairdresser with your new bobbiful knowledge!

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,


No comments:

Post a Comment