Monday, 13 August 2012

True Neutral

Hello beauties!

What a weekend this was... Had some fun on Saturday with my bestie, doing a crazy and cool shoot in Pretoria. But you'll have to wait until tomorrow for some of the pics!! And then yesterday I had the stomach flu. I still feel a little queasy today.

Do you game? If you game, you'll probably know what neutral alignment is. But for those of you who don't know, I'll tell you. Back in the day, Dungeons and Dragons (which I have never personally played, but I mean, I married a geek who has, so I know these things!) invented a alignment system. So, when you create your character, this is simply something to point your moral compass and further complicate things. (:

You have nine classes.

Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral and Lawful Evil.
Neutral Good, Neutral (or true neutral) and Neutral Evil.
Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Evil.

What in the world does that mean? This : if you are lawful, you'll keep the laws. You won't steal from random crates in your game, you won't kill people for the heck of it and you'll do what THE LAW states is the right thing, no matter if you're good, evil or neutral and things are done for the greater good. Like the people of the world you're saving. If you're chaotic, you're the opposite of lawful, meaning random pillaging of crates and murders an so on are good for you. Laws don't get you down, you have your own set of morals. Everything revolves around you, basically. Neutral is the balance between the two. Like Switzerland.

OK, then you have good, which means you're good. Evil, which means you're evil. And neutral which means you're neither. Simple, huh?

Why am I telling you all this?

Because, one evening, the hubster and I were having a conversation. You know, one of those that come after midnight, while he's playing online after a long day's work and I'm either writing or playing a game of my own. At the time, It was Dragon Age, which is my all time favourite game.

I was doing a quest with Alistair (my favourite character) just after I had made him king of Ferelden, robbing the house of one of the Nobles. We laughed about my lacking morals and the irony of the king robbing a house not only shortly after he was made king, but shortly before the start of a terrible war. That's me. I do all kinds of controversial things in games.

Before I go on, you should know some things about me. First of all, I am an achievement junky.If there is an achievement to be had, I'll have it. I'll spend hours, days and months to get every friggen achievement I can possible get, even if that means playing the game six times to get every possible ending. (: Secondly, I have to explore every possible spot of the map. I don't like grey areas. And thirdly, I am a very bad hoarder. I'm one of those people who will literally drop a teleport, sell some stuff at the merchant, teleport back and pick up the rest of the loot. I can't help it.

So, anyway, While robbing a house with the king, Jan pointed out that he's alignment is chaotic good, while it is obvious that I am true neutral. I was shocked and enveloped in horror at the thought, at the fact that he could even mention such a terrible thing. Because, no matter what, I'm good. GOOD I TELL YOU!

But, then again, maybe not. I'll do anything for an achievement. Even do the quests of the shady half of the world. I'll pillage even from the poor. I'll run around with my main character (which is almost always a rogue, since the other classes can't open chests and get the loot...) and pickpoket people. For the right price, I'll help the criminals escape and I'll do other shady things for coin. But in the same breath, I don't work with bloodmages (EVER.), I don't allow the mindless slaughter of innocents, women and children. I'll fight for the rights of people and protect the masses. And that while I'm an assassin myself.

Irony knows no end with me.

So, true neutral is what I am. It's sad and depressing, but it's true. So, what I'd like to know is this : do you game? What do you play? And WHAT IS YOUR ALIGNMENT? Please, tell me I'm not the only true neutral out there!! :D

May your week be Good, Lawful and wonderful.

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,


No comments:

Post a Comment