Wednesday, 17 October 2012

What Europe taught me about makeup!

Hello beauties!

So, one of the first things I noticed while in other lands was that they have a makeup identity.

We don't have one of these in South Africa. This is probably due to the fact that we're so diverse! I mean, we have Black (and in many different heritages!), Indian, Asian, White (which can be divided into Afrikaans, English and European) and Coloured people. Now, before my international friends have a fit, calling someone Coloured in South Africa isn't an insult at all. It's about as bad as calling me a Johannesburger, which I am! Our Coloured people are a proud ethnic group with their own traditions, culture and language!

Anyway, the point is, we're not like other countries where you can see 'there goes a Hollander', because we're all South African here, no matter what colour we are. Which means we have such a massive cultural diversity, each ethnic group with our own styles and fashions. So, we all apply makeup here in our own way, which is great.

But in Europe, it wasn't like that at all. There was an obvious makeup style throughout the Netherlands, Venice and Paris, which could be spotted from a mile away. And today, I'm going to share what I saw with you. Now, if you're located in Europe somewhere, please let me know if I got this right or add what you have to add in the comments!

There were two big things I picked up on while in Europe. The first being the more obvious one, classic eyeliner and a bold lip. This look was more popular in Paris paired with red lips, but in the other European countries I saw it with bold pinks, electric purples and funky oranges.

This image, to me, is the original Parisian look. This was the most popular makeup look I saw while in Paris and it looked good on the girls there!

Also note the big brows. This was another trend I spotted there, groomed, but thick eyebrows.

The eyeliner was winged some of the time, but it tended to look more like in the picture. And most of the time the girls didn't even bother with foundation or they put on very little. Perfect skins all around it seems! :)

I didn't see this look with nude lips at all.


The second big trend I found in Europe was the no-makeup makeup look. Again, many times they didn't go with foundation, simply walking around with only mascara on their eyes. Glowy-fresh skin is huge there as well, which looked great!



There you have it! Makeup European style! I'll get into what London girls did in another post, since they were much more bold and experimental with their looks.

Thank you for reading my blog and your continued support. I've been having record amounts of views on here per day and it's all thanks to you! :) I've also updated the Makeup wall of fame, so check it out. There are still some people I haven't placed on there, because I don't have photos of them. If I've done your makeup and you don't see your purdy face there, please mail me a pic!

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,


No comments:

Post a Comment