Monday, 27 May 2013

Cake in a mug

Hello beauties!

Hope you had a fantastic weekend!! Mine was good, thanks, though I was plenty busy with that final edit. Watch this space, because by the end of the week, I'll have a book available on the Amazon store. :)

It's my cousin's birthday!! Anschke, love you stacks and I hope you have a fantabulous day!! :) (Check out her bloggie here. Photo by LF Photography.)

Yesterday, I had a sudden and inexplicable craving (OK, fine, not so inexplicable at all. Pregnancy does weird things to your taste buds!!) for a baked pudding. So I jumped onto Google to find a recipe for a quick and easy pudding, and instead came across this recipe for a cake in a mug.

A lot of people have been going on about these mug cakes / brownies / cookie dough / etc. things. I've been wondering for a while now if it's actually good and if it really works. We prefer the traditional way of baking things here, but we were feeling lucky and we were in the middle of a bout of the munchies. So the hubster and I decided to try it.

Here's how it turned out.


As you can tell, it boiled over. Had to clean the microwave as well. I mean, the recipe says it'll boil over the sides, but not to worry. Maybe we needed bigger mugs? I don't know. Luckily the stuff cleans easy enough when it's still warm and gooey.

The recipe calls for choc chips too. We didn't put in nearly as much as they say your should, because the batter is very runny and we realised immediately that the chips would fall to the bottom (which they did). That means that when you get to the bottom of your mug, there's warm, melted chocolate and nothing else.

Overall, it was good, but the cleanup is a mess and the way over sweet ending of this experiment was almost enough to make me gag. It's a lot of cake for a single person (or maybe I just can't handle sweet stuff like I could when I was a kid.), but at least it was moist and not dry. That would have sucked.

Have you had more success than me with this? Let me know!!

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

2 comments: