Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Keep Calm

Hello beauties!!

First of all, I'd like to start off by wishing my father in law a happy birthday! Dad, I hope you have a great one and you get spoilt rotten. I'll be over for some coffee later!! :)

As many of you know, I'm pregnant. In the past month or so, my belly has suddenly exploded into a pretty impressive dome, proclaiming this fact to the world at long last. Because I didn't really have anything to show before 20 weeks, people didn't believe my claim to pregnancy even halfway through this journey. But then, I suddenly started to show, and in the past four weeks, my stomach has expanded like mad. Now, it's pretty obvious that I'm expecting. And that's what I want to talk about.

Beware, this is a rant in the making.

I need to get a t-shirt made with these words.


You see, I'm pregnant. And that, apparently, makes me free game. Because as I've just explained, I suddenly have a pretty unmissable pregnancy tummy, and this causes something in the human brain to break. Or something.

Four weeks ago, I could walk into any mall, store or event, without the hands of strangers inevitably making their way to my baby bump. This has changed completely. Now complete strangers will see me, notice the bump and almost squeal in delight. This makes me glad, because I'm glad the people are glad about the coming of my little girl. But then, they reach out and start to pat, rub or simply polish my stomach (as if a genie could pop out and grant some wishes) and will usually say the following, while they're touching me :
"You don't mind, do you?"
"When is baby coming?"

This completely blows my mind. And it makes me not-so-glad.

The answer to these questions are as follows :
"Yes, I mind. Please remove your hands from my person!"
"I'm certain I could answer this question a lot better if you unhand me."

You see, my predicament is this; I don't like random touching. If you're my close friend or member of my family, I can hug it out just as well as the best of them. I don't mind friendly, playful or family/friend-love contact. I don't mind you punching my arm, taking my punches, wiping my tears, allowing me to comfort or hug you, or even hugging me, when you're in my inner circle. But if you have no idea who I am, or if you were just introduced to me, I really, REALLY, don't want you touching me. Any time, anywhere, except if you're saving me from a fire, or some life-threatening event.

Why is it that because I have a baby bump, random strangers have the right to suddenly touch my stomach? Especially considering that it would be harassment when I'm not pregnant? I honestly don't get it. And most people will only ask if you mind their touching, after they have actually touched you, and that's if they're considerate enough to actually ask. Don't even think that only ladies do this baby-bump-touching-thing! Random men don't mind random touching either. They can rub your belly just as well as any lady I've ever met. Even with my husband present. And it's downright disturbing.

I have no idea how to stop this, because the touchers don't ask, they just do. I absolutely hate it and some people don't even stop when you ask them to. I'm sure they'd object if I touched their bellies, baby or no, but then I'd have to actually touch strangers! :)

How do you feel about this? Am I completely overreacting? And have you actually experienced this unwanted touching thing while pregnant (or even not)? Let me know.

OK, rant over. :P

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, complete strangers, never mind friends and family? That's just not on...

    Time to start thinking about carrying a tazer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jy overreact glad nie. Ek het presies die selfde gevoel. Dis jou lyf en jou maag en jou baba en ander mense het geen reg om te vat nie. Probeer leer om mense se reaksie te leer dan kan jy dit probeer keer voor dit gebeur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dit krap mens nogal om, maar ek is bly dis nie net ek nie! :)

      Delete
  3. Jammer ek reply nou eers. Maar ek stem heeltemal saam -ek mind nie as friends & family aan my magie vat of voel nie, maar vreemdelinge - nee nee nee nee! Miskien moet jy maar so t-shirt maak. Ek stem ook saam met Annelien, probeer mense se reaksie leer, ek gaan dit probeer.

    ReplyDelete