Monday, 8 July 2013

Real Barbie

Hello beauties!

Hope your weekend was fun. I've been feeling a bit ill, so my weekend wasn't all I'd hoped it would be. But I'm a trooper.

Thank you to the hundreds of you worldwide who downloaded my book over the weekend. If you liked it, please tell your friends and family to go buy a copy, or please leave me a review on the Amazon page. Your support is really appreciated!

So, these images have gone viral on the internet over the last week, and I thought I'd share them for those of you who haven't yet seen them.

Artist Nikolay Lamm modeled and 3d printed a more accurate depiction (based on the measurements of the average 19 year old woman in the USA) of how a Barbie doll should look, and the results are pretty astonishing. He blogged about it here. Check this out.






Now these images have sparked a massive debate over the interwebs and even some celebs like Demi Lovato have put their opinions out there. She said :

Can I also say, that... That new @barbie's got BACK!!!!! Hahahaha #bootybootybootyboottrockineverywhere
I personally like the fuller figured one better. She's still beautiful and she's actually pretty voluptuous, Sofia Vergara style!

The question is if we're programming our little girls to have some form of body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) from a very young age by allowing them to play with dolls they'll NEVER LOOK LIKE. Why do I say never? Well, it is another known fact that the proportions Barbie is modeled on are impossible to sustain human life. Google it. But I have this short summary I found when I googled for this post.


On other places, you'll find posts like this one, on Ames., which is pretty informative as well. If you do some research into this, you'll learn that Barbie's neck is too thin to support her head and her waist is too small to actually house organs, not to mention those weird, tiny feet. So, no, you're never going to look that way. We all know what corsets and tying feet did to women back in the day, and honestly, who wants to put themselves through that just to have a small waist or feet? Not me, thank you.

Having said all that, I don't think Barbie made me want to look like a skinny waif when I grew up. My mother always used to tell me to eat healthy and look healthy, so I guess I grew up with a more realistic expectation of my figure. I never was the skinniest of my friends, and sure, there was plenty a time when I wished I had smaller thighs and a less pronounced bum, but at the end of the day, even when I was at my heaviest, I never wanted to look like Barbie.

Shouldn't we cast some blame at the Disney franchise while we're at it? I mean, those princesses are picture perfect, all small waists and tiny little asses. And the HAIR. And they can all sing like flipping nobody's business. And all of them get the prince in the end. (Well, almost.)

The thing is, that's imagination, and I think Barbie is a toy, like any other. Don't boys grow up wanting to be super muscular and angled like He-man or Rambo or whatever toys they play with? I don't see life size models with real proportions of their toys? (AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT!!!! :D)

I think a much more scary practice than spreading Barbie dolls between our girl kids is the one of photoshopping the living daylights out of every woman on every cover (and between them too) of every magazine on the market. I mean, how much skinnier do you want Kate Moss to be? How much more flawless can you expect Beyonce to look? And what the hell is wrong with Jennifer Lawrence? They call the woman OBESE?!?! She's pretty near perfect in my (and many other) book! And Demi Lovato fat. FAT!?! I see a beautiful young woman who has overcome a lot of difficulties in her life and she looks glowing to me, not at all fat. Who cares if Britney Spears has a little cellulite? All of us have it, or have had it somewhere in our lives.

Maybe we should stop focussing on toys and drawings of women, and start worrying more about the real ones, like the ones I just mentioned, who are our young (and older) girls' role models. Maybe we should stop allowing the press to brainwash us into thinking we can only be perfect if we lose more weight, or have less spots or thicker hair. And maybe if we stop photoshopping our women, our girls will start believing that beauty is a thing of the inside, not the outer. And maybe then, BDD will start coming to an end, because people will accept themselves the way they are.

Do you know what's the scariest? The amount of men who have stated in the comments of the various posts of these Barbies that they like the more realistic one better.

We come in different shapes and sizes, and we should accept each other that way. God made us different. Thank goodness for that, otherwise we'd make a pretty boring picture.

But please, share your views with me on this topic. I'd love to hear what you think about this all!!

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

No comments:

Post a Comment