Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Wednesday Review - Skullour Hair dye

Hello beauties!

If you're looking for a cruelty free and vegan hair dye in a funky colour, have I got good news for you. Because I've been looking for a quality, animal friendly, funky product for the longest time myself. And I finally stumbled across one. Sure, if you're in the rest of the world, you have options available, but for the longest time here in South Africa, the only way to get a bright hair dye was to import (which costs A LOT). But not anymore, folks, not anymore.

Because the awesome (and super friendly) people over at Modern Monroe sells Skullour dyes. Which are both vegan and cruelty free. And very, very pigmented. They have the dye available in the following cool colours :












They also sell some other cool stuff, so you can have a look at their website and order from their webstore.

Anyway, they graciously sent me a bottle of dye to try out, and I picked Orchid, which is a nice pinky-purply colour. Here's how it looks.



They recommend bleaching your hair before applying the dye, because the colour pay-off will be better. I bought a random highlighting kit and used the bleach in that. Please, be careful when using bleach people!! Don't fry off your hair!! :)

Because I've been experiencing hectic postpartum hair loss, I didn't want to leave the bleach on too long, because I really don't want to cause more damage to my hair than strictly needed. So instead of the allotted 50 min for dark hair, I left the bleach on for only 30 minutes, which brought my dark hair down to a medium caramelly colour.

I applied the Skullour dye at this point. Now they recommend you mix the powder to a paste in your conditioner, which is a good idea after the bleach. But if you don't have conditioner (are you from the dark ages maybe??? :P), you can mix it into a paste with a little water too. I used equal amounts powder and conditioner and applied to my hair, where I left it for half an hour.

Just a note here, this stuff is HIGHLY PIGMENTED and will dye everything it touches. So use old towels and gloves, and be sure to wear old clothes when working with this stuff. It's potent!!

This is how my hair turned out :



I absolutely love this!! I imagine that the colour payoff would have been even more incredible if I'd left on the bleach longer, but even this way I love it!

And as for the dye itself, I'm heavily impressed. Not only is the product cruelty free and vegan, but it's easy to apply (I mean it's honestly idiot proof), high quality and above all, affordable! One of these tubs of Skullour is only R70.00!! That's really not much at all. And because I mixed it with conditioner, it leaves the hair feeling soft and not like hay (like some other dyes do).

I really recommend this product if you want funky hair colour at non-salon prices. I'll keep you posted about how long the colour lasts, but apparently it can go up to 6 weeks!! Which is great. I'll be trying some of the other colours for sure!!

And that's all I have for you today. Tune in for my favourites on Friday!

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

8 comments:

  1. Please let me know how long the color eventually lasted? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around 3 weeks before it started to fade noticeably. :)

      Delete
  2. I just like to know does the skullour have peroxide in? Im very allergic and can die from it. Would just like to find out before I use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I can see it contains no harmful chemicals. But send the girls at Modern Monroe an email and ask, they're really very helpful! info@modernmonroe.co.za

      Delete
  3. please let me know where a branch is in pretoria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're online (with an online shop)! :) http://www.modernmonroe.co.za/

      Delete
  4. I have very oily hair so I have to wash it every second day. Do you think it would start to show a major fade after a week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more you wash, the more it will fade. But I have to tell you that this was one of the best vibrant colours I've ever used. It lasted far longer on me than most of the other dyes I've tried. My hair is on the oily side too. But dry shampoo is your friend! :)

      Delete