Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Wednesday Review - Catrice BB Cream

Hello beauties!!

Welcome back to the Couch!! I honestly hope your week's been going well.

I'm personally as giddy as a kid in a toy store, because I got my new makeup train case yesterday!! I can't wait to share some phodies of it with you! I got it at a great price too (and you know how I love a bargain), but now I'm going to have to go and stock up on some makeupz with the money I saved on the case. The irony of that statement isn't lost on me.

You see, I had to get the new case in the first place, because my old makeup case was too small for all the makeup I own and use on clients. It was also broken in a place or two, because it was an el cheapo model. Now I've finally got the good stuff, a professional looking train case, and I don't have enough makeup to fill it up. Tsk tsk. In the following months, you'll see me spend all of my moola on makeup. :P

Anyway. I'm stopping the nonsense now and getting on with today's post.

I should probably begin at the beginning. Like the difference between a BB cream and foundation.

BB creams are typically very sheer, offering lighter coverage, but more skincare benefits. They usually have a built in moisturizer (which by no means lets you off the hook from a real moisturizer, ladies), SPF, and sometimes even anti-aging benefits. Foundations, on the other hand, tend to offer heavier cover and no mentionable benefits for the skin. There are usually many shades of foundation to choose from and you're more likely to find a darn close match for your skintone, but typically no more than three or four shades of the BB.

So why would you wear a BB cream? I wanted one because I've been blessed enough that my skin has been looking pretty presentable after my pregnancy. Except for some dryness issues, I've had the minimum blemishes and I haven't needed as heavy coverage as I did before my pregnancy. So I wanted something light on the skin that just evened out tone.

You could wear the BB cream to the beach or pool, or to music festivals and any kind of outdoorsy event where you don't want to look like you spent ten hours doing your hair and makeup (even if you did. :P).


I bought the first tube of Catrice BB cream at the end of last year and I've been wearing it since January (I got a new one in March). So all of the pictures you've seen of me this year have been with the BB cream on my face.




Let me start the review by saying I was sceptical, to say the least. I'm honestly not a fan of the BB cream fad, because all of the ones I've tried have disappointed me in some or another way. The cheap ones are priced well, but just don't last, or don't offer any coverage so to speak of. The more expensive ones are sometimes just as low quality, or they're so much like foundation that you could just as well have applied the foundation in the first place.

So when I bought the Catrice one, I didn't have a lot of hope. But this product changed my mind. I kind of gave that fact away already, when I said that I'm on my second one for the year already. :)

* You see, it's pretty long lasting. If I set it with powder, it can last up to 6 hours, which is fantastic for a BB cream. Heck, it even gives some of the cheaper brands of foundation a run for their money! If I wear it without setting it, I've gotten about half that time before it starts to wear off.

* It applies quickly, easily and streak-free. I can apply it with my fingers when I'm in a hurry, and just as easily work it in with my beauty blender if necessary (which I've found can stretch the time it lasts even further).

* It offers a surprising amount of cover even with a single coating, without feeling 'heavy' on the skin. It's a very lightweight product, but I can dab it on the odd pimple and it won't be in-your-face-obvious. It also builds well! I've actually layered it a couple of times when I needed a little more cover, and it still feels light!

* It translates well on photos. Where SPF in foundations and the like is concerned, the camera flash tends to reflect off the particles the SPF adds to the mix, and this creates the 'ghost effect' on pics. You know, where you look great in real life, but as pale as death on the photos. Catrice's BB cream doesn't do that, as you can see from all the photos I've posted.

* As far as the added benefits for your skin are concerned, I can't really comment. I didn't notice any change in my skin for the better or worse, but I always use a stand alone moisturizer anyway. At least it didn't clog up my pores like some foundations tend to do.

* The squirt nozzle and plastic tube make it simple and effective to get the product out.

* It's in the lower end of the price range. I got mine for around R80.

* It's animal cruelty free.

This is a keeper in my book. I love this product and I'd recommend it to anyone. and I'll probably keep on wearing it for some time to come!!

I hope you liked this review! My favourites are back on Friday, so tune in for that.

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

2 comments:

  1. OK ek gaan dit probeer want ek sukkel net so erg om goeie foundation te kry. Dus dra ek nie baie nie want dit kom altyd af selfs op my foon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probeer hom en kyk! Wat jy ook altyd kan probeer is 'n onderlaag met oil control, hulle is geneig om beter te stick op die vel. :)

      Delete