Thursday, 26 June 2014

Easy Peasy Chicken Stew

Hello beauties!

Whew, it's been a long time since I shared a recipe with you! I've been promising to upload this post for a while now, but there were so many other cool stuff I wanted to share, that I've only gotten around to it now. Must be all the Hell's Kitchen I've been watching... :)

With a baby in the house it's sometimes difficult to prep food, let me tell you. But for some reason, she slept right through this session, and actually allowed me some time for photos as well! Mind. Blown.

Anyway, it's a really easy stew recipe, which anyone can make. I did cook mine in a slow cooker, but you can cook this in a normal pot on very low heat, or a crock pot as well. Let's get to it!

What you'll need :

* 500g of chicken, cubed
* Stew Vegetables of your choosing. I used 4 medium potatoes, 4 medium carrots and 3 medium sweet potatoes.
* 1 Large onion
* 1 Bell pepper (I used a green one)
* Chicken stock (I used a Robertson's chicken stock pot)
* 1 Packet (50g) of white onion soup
* 750ml Milk / cream
* 1 Tablespoon of oil
* Spices of your choice

Step One :

Chop up your onion and pepper, and then fry it in a pan with the oil. As always, fry until the onion is golden in colour.

While the onion and pepper are on the stove, cube the chicken.

Add the chicken to the pan and fry until the meat is no longer pink. AKA, white in colour. You don't have to fully cook the chicken, you just don't want it completely raw anymore.



 Step Two :

When you've removed the chicken from the heat (or while you're frying the chicken, you multi-tasker-you!) peel and cube the veggies.

You can use any ol' veggies you like. Jan doesn't eat the good stuff, like butternut, pumpkin or any flipping thing that works well in a stew, for that matter. So I stuck with the things he's willing to consume.

You, my friend, can add whatever the heck you want!

I will say this. I wanted to put in some sweet corn closer to the end of cooking, but I forgot.


 Step Three :

Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker.

I like to layer my food so the meat is on the bottom, then the veggies. This is just a quirk of mine, you don't have to do it.

Pour the milk over the mixture and add the chicken stock.

Spice to taste.


 Step Four :

Cook the stew.

I had mine on the high setting for about two hours before I added the onion soup to the mixture (just dissolve it in a little water).

Keep in mind that you don't want to be constantly opening the stew in the slow cooker. It loses heat like mad if you do. Just check on it every hour or so, stir once or twice, and let it go. Like Elsa.

Let it cook for 5-6 hours, and serve nice and warm with a bit of rice. I cooked up some beetroot as a side dish. We ate like kings!


Just a side note here, this stuff also makes a really delicious pie filling. So if you end up with too much stew (psh, too much stew... Hahaha!), you can always slap a crust around it and you have pot pie.

This recipe also works damn well with other kinds of meat! We made a lamb stew with the same veggies a while back, which was delicious.

And that's it from me for today. Come back tomorrow for my monthly favourites.

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie


2 comments: