Thursday, 2 October 2014

My holiday - Part One in Durban

Hello Beauties!

My grandma lives in Durban. This fact was the whole reason for our vacation in the first place. If you've been following my blog for a while now, you'll know my gran was incredibly sick last year and I asked for your prayers. During the last few weeks of my pregnancy, she was especially bad and about a week before Kayla was born, my gran actually said goodbye to me over the phone. As in, 'goodbye, enjoy your life, take good care of your baby, I'm dying.'

I wasn't able to go see my grandma at her worst last year, because my doctor felt it unsafe for me to travel in the last few days of my pregnancy. I was afraid that my gran would die and I wouldn't be able to attend her funeral. She went for many tests, for various forms of cancer and who knows what else. We honestly didn't think she'd make it.

But guess what. My grandma is a fighter and our prayers were answered.

Not only is she cancer free and much healthier and happier than she was last year, but she also met her great-granddaughter for the first time last week. Because of various factors, including Jan's work obligations, we haven't been able to go down to Durban for my grandma and Kayla to meet. But now, we finally got the chance.

Before we get to the grand meeting, however, we need to get TO Durban. :) Here are the photos.

We stopped at Wimpy for a quick milkshake. I had WAY TOO MUCH milkshakes on this vacation. :) Back to the ol' diet now...

























Before we went to gran's house, we stopped to say hi to the ocean. This was Kayla's first meeting with the big blue, and she wasn't too fond of it. :P






We couldn't see my grandma on the first day, because it was too late in the afternoon. She's in an old age home now, where she's being taken care of. But we went to spend some time with her on the second day. Because we had a little while before tea was served at the home, we tried again with the beach.








This was Kayla's expression at meeting her great-gran.



The two of them had an awesome time together. Kayla was a little shy at first, but she warmed right up to gran very quickly. It was the sweetest thing! And of course, my gran loved Kayla from the moment she laid eyes on her. It's impossible not to love that little girl!!

This is the view from my gran's balcony in the home. Pretty majestic, I think.



 Here are some photos of the visit with Ouma (which is the Afrikaans word for grandmother).






This was probably one of the most special moments of my year so far. It brings tears to my eyes even as I write this, because I truly didn't believe my daughter would ever meet my gran. And here they are, in each other's arms. I tell you, my friends, it's a really amazing, humbling and mind-blowing blessing to be able to share this with you. It's proof that prayers really are answered and that miracles still happen.

Anyway. Before I get too emotional, I'm ending today's post here. I'll share the last holiday photos with you tomorrow and I'll do a joint post of my beauty favourites for this week and next week next Friday.

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

No comments:

Post a Comment