Monday, 17 November 2014

My Skincare Routine

Hello Beauties!

Welcome back to the Couch! I hope you had a fabulous weekend. Mine was hectic, as always. For a change, I didn't take photos of it. Which means I'm not doing a WIP post today. I should have one again next week if you really want to see it. :)

A lot of you have been asking me about the Change Exchange Blog Competition (my entry here). The winner hasn't been announced yet. I'll let you know as soon as I know. :)

Happy birthday to my cousin Tanja! Love you lots cuz!

Anyway, I've been meaning to share my daily skincare routine with you for a long while now, but I've just never gotten around to doing it. Having said that, I don't have a very extensive routine. :) It's actually really basic, and that's the way I like it. I'm honestly not one to spend too much on things like these (I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a penny-hugger) and I don't like unnecessary bottles cluttering my bathroom cabinet. I like to keep it simple, stupid. :D

BUT skincare is still incredibly important.

You'll notice another thing here with your sharp little eyes. At the moment, I'm a bit of a brand hound. I've recently discovered Nivea is cruelty free and since, I've been on a rampage to try out their products. Apparently I like them. :D (Disclaimer, none of these products were sent to me to test out and I'm not being paid to test them. All of the products were bought by myself with my husband's money :P)

OK, I'll stop babbling now. Here's the post.


 My routine starts in the shower. Oooh, steamy. I've been trying out the different Nivea shower gels and creams and I love them all. But this particular one (bamboo milk and orange blossom) IS MY FAVOURITE.

Goodness, it smells edible. (don't try that at home...)

It's rich and silky and did I mention the smell? FA-BU-LOUS.

After the shower I use the Nivea cocoa butter body cream, which is also amazing. Non greasy, quickly absorbed and really moisturising. I love it. It also smells amazing, by the way. :) Though I'm not one to shower twice a day, I do use this cream in the morning and evening, and sometimes during the course of the day.

On my stomach I use the Palmers tummy butter (read my review here) for my baby-bump stretch marks. I use this twice a day.
To wash my face, I use the Nivea Daily Essentials facial wash gel, for normal to combination skin. (Don't know your skin type? I have a post on that!) I use this mostly in the evening. I tend to just wash my face with water in the morning.

I used to use a facial scrub too, but I have to be honest, since becoming a mom, I haven't done this at all. There's just no time these days. Which is also why I don't do my weekly facial masks anymore... Busted.

But when I do get the chance for a mask, I like the peel off kinds. This one from Essence is really nice. I like it because I do tend to get blocked pores on my T-Zone every now and then, and this one cleans it right out.

For breakouts I use the Young Solution wipe out drops. This is a really good secret weapon for the odd zit. A few drops and it's gone.
 After washing my face, I always tone. This toner from Nivea is really nice and gentle smelling.

Why is a toner important? I am not a dermatologist, so I may not have all of the terminology exactly correct, but I'll try not to mess it up too badly. :)

Your skin is PH balanced and the stuff we do to it disturbs the PH. Basically the facial cleansers, makeup removers, scrubs etc. we use removes some of the natural oils and stuff the skin needs, messing up the PH balance. This can cause reactions, breakouts and all kinds of skin problems.

A toner balances the PH again. It's that simple.

So after every wash, a toner is important to get your skin back into its best state.
I use a day cream with SPF in the morning and a night cream in the evening.

The SPF is important, even if you'll just be in and out of the sun quickly. It really does protect the skin from the harmful rays of the sun because, let's face it, nobody wants a melanoma or some other kind of cancerous growth. It's also necessary to replenish some moisture lost during the night.

This is also why I use a pretty moisturising night cream. The elements wear at our skins during the day and needs some time to 'regenerate', so to speak, at night. I absolutely love this duo from Nivea's daily essentials.

I bring both of these products down to my neck and chest area too, because I don't want my facial skin all youthful only to have an ancient looking neck. :P

I don't have an eye cream at the moment, though I'll be getting one again soon. I'm kind of between products, since the one I used to love is by an animal testing company. But eye creams are an important step in skincare too, because the skin around the eyes is so thin. It's always a good idea to take special care of the most delicate skin on our bodies.

Eye creams help with puffiness and black circles too!!

And that's it for me. I don't use other products and I don't have a set routine which I'm religious to follow. I just try to take good care of my skin in the simplest manner. :)

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

No comments:

Post a Comment