Thursday, 8 January 2015

DIY Nail Stamps

You've probably seen this somewhere on the interwebs and I bet you the place of origin starts with a 'P' and ends with 'interest'. I pinned it myself a long while ago, and I've always wanted to try it. So while I did, I thought it might make a good post.

So let's get to it. DIY nail stamps from pencil erasers.


 What you'll need :

* Pencils with erasers on the ends.

* A pen, or whatever you prefer to mark with.

* Something to cut with. I preferred the small scalpel thingy. Both cutting instruments come from my father in law's garage. :P But I bet you'd be able to cut with the kitchen knife if you wanted. Please get an adult to help you if you're under 13.

* Nail polish.

What to do :

* Get the pencil in a steady grip, eraser side facing you.
* Mark whatever pattern you want onto the eraser.
* Carefully cut the eraser away to reveal your stamp.
* Paint with nail polish.
* Stamp!



  
On my nails : 33 In The Armee Glow and 07 Stars And Stories, both by Catrice

 As with many Pinterest ideas, this does work on nails, but only to an extent.

The red nail polish I used at first (I chose red only because I thought it would show up well on photos) was a newer and more runny formulation, which meant it smudged more easily and was much more transparent when stamped. The runnier nail polish didn't work on the nail at all.

The glitter polish (as photographed above) worked better, because it's much thicker. I also found that older, drier polishes worked  well too. A good idea is to let the polish sit on the stamp for a moment or two before stamping it. If it's slightly tackier, it should take to the nail better.

Let me know how yours turn out!

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

No comments:

Post a Comment