Wednesday, 28 January 2015

The Steamworks Gastro Pub

I was born in the wrong era and wrong world. This is a burden I have to bear every day. :P I should have been born in a Steampunk world! But alas... Sighs.

This weekend, a bunch of us went to The Steamworks restaurant in Sandton, which may very well now be my favourite place on earth. Steampunk. Restaurant. People! I can't even.

The decor! I mean, the decor! And the food! Oh, the food! And the cocktails! The friggen cocktails! But let me start at the beginning.

I've been wanting to go to this place since it opened, but due to the fact that I'd just had a baby, that wasn't going to happen. Stuff was hectic and sleep was a commodity. Luckily, the crazy phase passes and we finally had a moment to hang out with friends. We heard the Sunday roast was legendary at this particular restaurant, so we decided to head over and give it a try. Ironically, none of us ordered the roast... Haha!

Anyway. The decor is incredible. You enter to this amazing clock / map / wine-thing, which is simply beautiful. The table-legs are made of old water pipes. The wallpaper looks like vintage maps. The paintings (which were stunning) are framed in gorgeous antique, golden frames. There's a massive compass with lights on the ceiling. The basins in the bathroom are made of copper. And a million tiny details that make the place quirky and wonderful to look at in between.

The food was incredible. You can expect to find delicious gourmet pizzas, juicy burgers, a variety of succulent meats, fantastic pies and an array of light meals too. They make their own craft beers and great cocktails too! I had the Steamworks mule, which was an incredibly good ginger based drink. I loved it!

For the main course, I had the chicken pie. Now I've had many pies in my life, the best of which was a chicken pie I had in a pub near Harrods in London. This pie is either better than the one I had in London, or tied for first. I can't decide. But it was wonderful! With it came a side of mash and gravy, crunchy broccoli and delicious carrot with a star anise flavoured sauce.

The staff was really friendly, which is a bonus!

What made the experience so much more incredible was the great company. I love you bunch of awesome people to bits! We need to do this kind of thing more often!!

Anyway, here are the photos (these first ones were taken by LF Photography).

















The next photos are from the hubster's phone.





 



If you're ever in the Sandton area and in the mood for some awesome cuisine, this is the place to go.

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

No comments:

Post a Comment