Thursday, 5 February 2015

What's in a name?

"Why in the world would you name your blog 'The Bloomin' Couch'?!"

I get asked that a lot. That and; "What the heck is a bloomin' couch anyway?"

If you know me personally, you might understand the title. *Might* But if you don't, the simple reason is that I'm pretty quirky and I love quirky things. Having said that, we all know quirky is just a nice word for weird. I can own up to that!

Anyway, this is the story.

I'm not sure if the idea came during or after I finished my makeup course, but there was a phase in my life where I imagined I'd own a makeup salon. In fact, I pretty much dreamed about it. It would branch out later and I'd get a hairdresser to work with me too, renting out some of my space for that purpose. This is also the reason why I did my nail technician course, because it's another service offered by a beauty salon. I was considering doing a lash extension course as well, and maybe get in people who did massages and waxing, etc.

It was another one of those wacky ideas I have a lot of. (There's a fairly simple explanation for my diverse schemes in this blog post, if you were wondering.)

I wanted the entryway of the place to have a white wall, painted with grey and silver flowers that seemed to grow out of the ceiling. I'd seen some cool things on Pinterest (where else) and I was really in love with the flower idea. A beauty salon needs to be girly, after all. :D With my flower wall, I wanted a really cool couch; maybe like a chaise lounge or something else ornate and styled. This would probably be in a royal purple or crimson red, to look rich and compliment the rest of the salon, which would be grey and white. As you can tell, I spent a lot of time on this concept. :P

Anyway. The rest is simple. My mom and I were trying to figure out a name for this dream of mine, but we hadn't really gotten far. We did know that the couch would have to be comfy with the amount of chatter that I manage to produce. We wanted it to be a place where people could discuss anything and where they'd want to come back to. Which was why many of our ideas were centered around the couch. And then, we were watching My Fair Lady, and Eliza Doolittle was yelling about her bloomin' flowers.

My mom and I kind of looked at each other and big, idiotic grins bloomed onto our faces. (See what I did there? :P) It was going to be a bloomin' couch. I mean Audrey Hepburn herself had suggested it, so who were we not to listen?

I wanted this blog to be a place where we could talk comfortably about makeup and beauty, at first. More recently, we've been talking about a wider spectrum of things, but I believe the initial idea remains. It's a place where all people can be comfortable and just chat. And that's the way I like it. :)

Over the years, I have changed the look of the blog three times. The other changes, like Monday's post, were minor tweaks here and there. But when I refer to the look of the blog changing, it included new logos, backgrounds and layouts. Do you remember how it started?


I hope you'll be here for all of the things yet to come. Thanks for sticking by my this far!

Stay beautiful and be kind to animals,

Yolandie

No comments:

Post a Comment