Monday, 4 May 2015

Life as we know it.

First of all, Jan and I had a very small 30th birthday party on Saturday. I'll share the pics with you as soon as we get them.

That's probably what brings on this post. 


I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks. I'm tempted to ask 'when did that happen' because it still feels like I'm 21 more often than you can imagine. I don't feel much older than I did when I was 18! Sure, I have more responsibilities now, but I still feel the same. Maybe I should be more specific, because I can see you pulling a face. I've aged emotionally, sure, but that happens on a daily basis sometimes. Physically, I feel the same. I may not look exactly the same as I did even last week, but I don't feel older. Wiser, maybe, but not older.

As a species, we tend to struggle with our mortality. People like getting older up to a point, and then they start to dread it. Because we all know that getting older means GETTING OLDER. And getting older means more wrinkles, less teeth or other working parts, and inevitably dying. Woa, Yolandie, that's a nice and morbid thought for a Monday. 

It's true all the same, no matter what we do or say. It's the one constant that all of us have in common - death. But I don't like to think that I'm living only to die.

I really want to live just to live, you know. Do the things that matter. Love unconditionally. Forgive. Stop and smell the roses (they really do smell amazing). Admire the beauty of people, places and nature. Dream big. Fail sometimes and succeed other times, because failing makes success sweeter. Learn, learn, learn. Make a difference for someone. Inspire.

I found this quote on the interwebs and it struck a chord with me.  




Up there somewhere I said I don't want to live just to die. Maybe I should amend that. Maybe we should live as if we're dying, because, let's face it, we are dying. You've seen the movies and read the books where the cancer patients have a blast for their last few months, because they know it's all coming to an end soon. Maybe we should do that, in spite of health and the prospect of living a long life.

Go out and live today. Smile at the sunlight on your face. Let the wind caress your skin. Take in the beauty that surrounds you and make the ugly go away. There may not be a tomorrow, so hold on to today.

And then, when your time comes, you can rest easy that you really, really LIVED.

30, baby, you and I are going to have one incredible ride. That's a promise.

Yolandie

No comments:

Post a Comment